Apply for Semester 1, 2023
Applications for study commencing in Semester 1, 2022 have now closed.
We are accepting applications for study commencing in Semester 1, 2023
Wondering how to convert your ECE diploma to a degree? Boost your career by upgrading your ECE diploma to a degree with our teacher upgrade course.
This is a 1–2-year part-time course for those with an ECE teaching diploma who would like to upgrade to a Level 7 Bachelor of Teaching (ECE). Being part-time, you can continue to work while you study for the degree.
The ECE upgrade course will deepen your knowledge of:
• curriculum design, assessment and inquiry
• inclusion, exclusion and marginalisation in ECE settings
• infants and toddlers
• mātauranga Māori
• leadership in early childhood education.
Please note that, because this course does not include a practicum component, it is not a pathway to teacher registration.
Te ara tuku
The pathway consists of three courses, each 12 weeks long, and one 16
week course (Māori Teaching and Learning | Te Hā o te Ao Mātauranga
Māori) taught in semester 2, which you may be required
to complete if you meet either of the following criteria:
- You did not receive your diploma from Te Tari Puna Ora o Aotearoa/New Zealand Childcare Association (NZCA) –
the previous name for Te Rito Maioha Early Childhood New Zealand.
- You are unable to demonstrate competency in te reo Māori me ngā tikanga Māori.
This additional course includes a noho marae component.