Gain or regain your full teaching practice certificate.
Update your professional knowledge of the shifts in the education system that have occurred over the last 6 years. Ensure that you are well prepared to teach successfully in New Zealand early childhood settings.
This programme is designed to refresh (not replace) your initial teacher education qualification and is mandated by the Education Council.
This course is required for:
- Early childhood teachers who have not gained full registration after having been provisionally registered for 6 years or more
- Early childhood teachers whose NZTC approved teaching qualification is more than 6 years old and are applying for registration for the first time.
Please see the Education Council website if you are not sure if you are required complete the Teacher Education Refresh programme.
This course is also of interest to:
- Primary trained teachers who wish to learn more about working in early childhood education
- Internationally qualified early childhood teachers who wish to learn more about working in Aotearoa New Zealand.
Please note that entry will be prioritised for those who are required to undertake this course by the Education Council.
The TER programme will help those teachers who have had limited sustained teaching experience since gaining their initial teacher education qualification to become up to date with shifts that have occurred over the last six years in the education system and be brought up to date with new initiatives such as ICT, emphases on cultural competence and catering for priority learners and the applicability of these aspects to a teacher’s everyday professional practice.
Successful completion of a TER programme demonstrates that a teacher has recently been assessed as meeting the Graduating Teacher Standards, and completed rigorous study and supervised practicum in the general education system, which will be beneficial in a competitive job market.
Te ara tuku
- Comprises of four 4-week modules. The first three modules consist of self-directed online study and one face-to-face day at a block course per module. The fourth module is a full-time supervised practicum in an early childhood service.
- Two 2-day block courses in total.
Click here to view the 2017 dates for this programme.
Click on the links below for more information.
Each of the first three modules entail 4 weeks of self-directed online study and are introduced at the block course.
Weekly requirements on this full-time programme include:
We offer competitive pricing for students on our TER programme.